If you make them with whole grains, (and you all know my point of view on whole grains), they are not only delicious but good for you.
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup water
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 T butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- Additional butter for skillet
- Add all ingredients to a blender; pulse for 5 seconds until blended; allow batter to rest in the refrigerator for 1 to 48 hours. (This is important if you want a crepe with a silky texture).
- Heat a 10-inch Teflon non-stick skillet over medium-high heat and grease with a bit of butter. Ladle about ¼ cup of batter in the hot pan and swirl until the bottom is thinly and evenly coated. Cook until the batter sets and the edges become golden—less than 1 minute. Flip and cook another 15 seconds. Lay on a rack. Repeat until all are cooked.
Storing: Stack crepes once they’ve cooled and store them in an air-tight container for up to 5 days in the fridge. To freeze, stack them with wax paper between each crepe, and place them in an air-tight freezer bag in the freezer for up to 2 months
Stuffings and Toppings: The other half of the fun. You don’t have to do much to make them tasty. My children love to top them with a squirt of lemon followed with a sprinkle of powdered sugar.
Savory Ham & Spinach
Filling for savory or plain crepes Yield: 3 cups
1 T olive oil
3 oz. ham, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1clove garlic, minced
6 – 8 cups chopped spinach
1/2 cup grated cheese, try gouda, Swiss or gruyere
1/4 cup chopped herbs like dill (optional)
1/4 cup half & half or cream
Salt & pepper to taste
6 – 8 plain or savory crepes for stuffing
Heat olive oil in a medium skillet. Add onions, a little salt, and ham and sauté until onions are glassy. Add garlic and sauté another minute. Next add spinach and cook until barely wilted. Add cream and grated cheese and continue to scook on medium heat, stirring constantly until it thickens. Add pepper and more salt if needed.
To Assemble: Add about 1/2 cup to each crepe, roll and serve. Or place in a baking pan, cover with grated cheese and bake at 325 F for 10 minutes or until cheese has melted.
Simple Strawberry Compote
Filling for sweet or plain crepes Yield: 4 cups
2 pints strawberries, sliced
3 T sugar
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
Garnish with whipped cream, ice cream or chocolate sauce
In a sauce pan, add all ingredients and cook over medium heat until sauce thickens. Ladle over crepe, garnish and serve.